2012年1月30日月曜日

How To Add Weather To Coagulation On Halo

how to add weather to coagulation on halo

CodeMonkey's foobar: Favorite Halo Maps

This is taken from evildoctorwill over in the TTL Forum. I thought it interesting and am sharing it with you. They are listed from least favorite to most favorite.

Who likes Halo? I do. Who likes Halo multiplayer? I do! So I decided that I'd rank every multiplayer map from Halo to Halo 3 (excluding the PC exclusives) from my least favorite to my favorite. Believe me, what started as a simple question from one friend to another became an epic time-consuming project, one that has only helped to build on the respect I hold for those Bungie folk who created my favorite multiplayer experience. Please remember that this is by no means an attempt to show the world the "Best and Worst of Halo Maps" or anything of that sort, instead it is just one fan's personal opinion on what he does, and doesn't, enjoy playing when it comes to the multiplayer mayhem we all have come to know and love called Halo. Feel free to comment on choices, or just leave a quick note on why you love or can't stand a particular map. So, without further ado, here are my Least Favorite To Favorite Maps in Halo.

#54. Coagulation

Kicking things off on this list of Least Favorite To Favorite Maps of Halo, we have the red-headed step child of Blood Gulch itself, Coag. Coagulation took everything that was great from it's predecessor, chewed it up, spit it out, and then proceeded to defecate itself onto the remains. What was left was Coagulation, a name just as ugly and retched as the map itself. Perhaps its due to the oh-so-many fond memories I have of playing Blood Gulch that seem to distort this map into what it is today, or maybe it is the absence of a certain entirely-too-over-powered-and-yet-somehow-amazing pistol, but I still hate this map. Maybe hate isn't strong enough of a word. What's worse that hate, anyway? Why do I detest this map? With the exclusion of the Halo pistol from it's sequel, and the rather large distance that this map had from on point of cover to the next, having a sniper rifle in Coag meant total domination. Spawn, killed. Spawn, killed. Spawn, killed. Get the picture? I remember right after Halo 2's launch, some friends of mine got together for a LAN party, just as we always did before with Halo, and fired up some Coag CTF. It didn't feel the same, as you would expect, and thus began the downward spiral that shall forever be known as Coagulation.

#53. Tombstone

If there ever were a map that comes close to Coag in terms of my utter hatred toward, it would be Tombstone. Now, I was not one of the countless Bungie fan boys clamoring for a remake of Hang 'Em High, I grasped the concept that Bungie very early on stated about their trying to recreate this map in the Halo 2 engine and it just not feeling right. I was totally fine with this map not showing up in Halo's sequel, but lo and behold, it did. Just as Coag did to Blood Gulch, Tombstone seemed to lack just about everything that made it's original so entertaining. However, unlike Coagulation, Tombstone was still semi-playable, and that is why it merely makes second to last.

#52. Elongation

Is anyone noticing a trend here? I don't like remakes. When all you do is take the original, put a nice graphics polish on it, and it back out into a game engine that is not the same, you don't really get the same experience. Elongation built on Longest in a way that I didn't enjoy, focusing on the objective side of the map, creating two bases for teams to attack, whereas my greatest memories of Longest (which will be detailed later on) were of the fun long distance rocket games. Elongation turned into a map where, if it popped up in matchmaking, I definitely wanted a veto option.

#51. Foundry

Mind you, I am not talking about the forged-into-everything-and-your-mother version of Foundry, I am talking about the run of the mill, default, wondering-who-on-Bungie-thought-this-would-be-fun version you get in matchmaking. To be honest, this map has brought us, through the wonders of Forge, such awesome maps as Onslaught and everyone's favorite Griffball court, but when it comes to seeing it pop up in Team Doubles or Team Slayer, I always get that slight taste of vomit like I'm going to hurl in a moment if I don't get something to drink soon when I see it show up in matchmaking. This map turns into a heated race for the snipers and rockets, and especially if you aren't playing a BR variant, it just turns into a Duck Hunt, waiting for the opposing team to pop their heads out so you can remove it from their sternum. Foundry is definitely on the Least Favorite side of my Least Favorite To Favorite Maps of Halo.

#50. Snowbound

Does anyone else think this is an attempt to re-imagine Battle/Beaver Creek? Well, if it is, it's a failed attempt. While some game types are enjoyable on Snowbound, like much of any SWAT gametype (minus SHWATGUNS) or even Team Splasers, most games of Team Slayer or Team Doubles always turns into one thing: Camping the shield doors. And if one team dares to stray outside of the protective shell otherwise known as the bases, its hello ghost, please mow me down! Snowbound and I don't get along, and I don't think we're going to work this out anytime soon.

#49. Last Resort

Another remake? You don't say! Last Resort feels to me like Bungie wasn't trying. They simply took Zanzibar and threw it into Halo 3 with about five minutes of tweaking (I know, I know, they put a lot more time into it than that, I'm just trying to make a point). It also feels larger to me than Zanzibar did, am I crazy for that? While not the horrible mess of a remake that Tombstone and Coagulation were, Last Resort is a map that I don't exactly smile when I see pop up in matchmaking. Although, Team Snipers and Shotty Snipers are at least semi enjoyable on Last Resort.

#48. Desolation

"Ahhh! Enough with the remakes, we get it already!" Is that what you are saying? Guess what, it's what I'm saying, too. While Derelict wasn't exactly a map I particularly enjoyed in Halo, Desolation took anything that was really good from it and just took it away. I will say it again; man-cannons don't equal teleporters. This map made spawn camping a real art form, where all you had to do was simply pick off your opponents as they spawned on the bottom of the map. Oh, what's that? You don't have a BR? Well, don't worry, the guy shooting at you does.

#47. Chill Out

Perhaps Chill Out makes it this low on my list of Halo maps due to the simple fact that I didn't play a lot of it back in the day. One thing is for sure, this is where this list officially stops being the "worst of" and simply begins to count down to the "best of" Halo maps. Chill Out didn't really have much wrong of anything wrong with it, however, just never really made it into my list of "most played" during my Halo days. Many will be angered, this I understand especially when you see what made it above Chill Out next…

#46. Chiron TL 34

I think I'm one of maybe five people who actually enjoyed this map. I loved it. Once you learn what leads you where, you can own on this map. But, to be quite honest, it is a pretty ridiculous map, and that has been proven by it being one of only four original Halo maps not to be remade in another Halo game. But, like I stated, I actually had fun playing this map every once in awhile. Definitely not a lot, though.

#45. Damnation

It had a waterfall, how can you go wrong?!? I did enjoy Damnation, with it's dizzying heights and complicated level design. Although, as original Halo maps go, I don't seem to have so many fun memories of this map as I do from the others, and for that, it sits near the bottom of the list.

#44. Derelict

Semi-fun map, large enough to be able to sneak around on, but not large enough to where you felt like you were lost trying to find your opponent. Many a night during a LAN party this was a great alternate to the hour-long Blood Gulches and crazy rocket games of Longest and Prisoner. At least Derelict was more fun than it's remake.

#43. Battle Creek


Everything this map did, it's successor did better. That is my #1 reason for it placing as low in this list as it has. While Battle Creek was fun, I never really got into the small map located in a hole in the ground on God-Knows-Where, that is until Halo 2 came out. Battle Creek was a great idea, two bases closely located, with little room to maneuver and yet so many points to attack from. Good map, just had the sad fact of a better successor.

#42. Waterworks

Now while most seemed to hate Waterworks, it did have it's moments. A good map for large sized parties, with its multiple points of entry and even the ability to reign down terror from above, albeit from a banshee or a falling stalagmite from the cave's ceiling, Waterworks worked wonders for BTB. The few times I did play BTB during Halo 2's run on Xbox Live, Waterworks was always a welcome addition to our list of laggy games.

#41. Blackout

Much like trying to figure out what's really going on between Brett Favre and the Packers, trying to deduce what went on behind closed doors (or at least beyond the watchful eye of their deep-voiced security guard) with Bungie when they decided to create this map is impossible. But honestly, who's idea was it to just throw on some paint and call it Blackout? It's a different game, and because it is a different game, Blackout does not feel like Lockout. It feels like someone took a copy of a copy, then copied it some more, and passed it off as the real thing. I will take a reimagining or "spiritual successor" like Guardian over a "fresh paint job" like Blackout any day.

#40. Rat Race

First thing that comes to mind when I think of Rat Race: You could shoot down the power ups! Your opponent is up top, waiting patiently for the overshield to spawn. Just as it does, it magically tumbles to the ground with them chasing after it, only to find you, shields-a-chargin', ready to add another point to your kill count. A fun map for its time, but I feel as if I were in Halo 3, it would need so much more to make it enjoyable. But back in the day, when it was only you and your buddy plugging away at Halo multiplayer, it filled the niche. Mostly.

#39. Sandtrap

Perhaps this map will continue to climb up this list as I begin to play more BTB, but until then, it sits closer to the bottom then the top. Sandtrap has a lot going for it, and really only one large blemish against it: The Elephant. An idea that probably looked great on the drawing board, but when it becomes playable, it just doesn't feel right. I would have greatly preferred to have the flag/bomb point somewhere either behind the giant, towering structure, or even within it.

#38. High Ground

Oh, High Ground. One would think that another sweet asymmetrical map like Zanzibar, just smaller and squeezed into a small canyon might be fun. And it is, kinda. I can't say I hate High Ground, but when it comes to a list of my favorite Halo 3 maps (kinda like this list!), it definitely takes a plunge toward the bottom of the list. Perhaps in the LAN environment, where teams of equally skilled and sized players face off in a real, true test of "we want to win!" this map might be fun. But, when it comes to Xbox Live, I seem to not enjoy this map as much as most. The only real game type that I get overly excited for on this map seems to be the Zombies variant that Bungie created and employs during their "Living Dead" weekends. Maybe that's what they really made this map for.

#37. Gemini

I will always remember Gemini as the map that seemed to almost break MLG. Now I know that's nowhere near a true statement, but that's how it felt when, I believe it was Final Boss (or STK, or whatever name they were calling themselves at the time) decided to show the entire world how one sided this map truly could be. Now, bear with me: Go to the back of the map, where the teleporter and two sliding doors are. Now, have the sword man guard the teleporter, and have your best sniper jump on his head and then jump on top of the teleporter. Now put a player at each door. Total Domination, nuff said. Other than this, I found this map semi enjoyable. But I just can't get that image out of my head.

#36. Colossus

Think you can get a flag to bounce 50 feet? Well, we did on this map. Not to mention the fact that, due to the spawn placement, if played right, you can seriously cause the other team some heartache. Put that aside and you still had a very cool map, that had a bridge sometimes… and no bridge other times (Always seemed to confuse me. Yes, I know… I confuse easily). If you think about it, minus the giant lower level in the middle of the map, you could make this map in Foundry. Or has someone already done that? Oh well. Team Snipers worked well on this map (minus the aforementioned spawn trap), as did most 2 flag variants, although they sometimes lasted hours. I can honestly say that I was able to get a few decent montage-worthy clips from this map. Sadly, I think that is the best I can say for it.

#35. Turf

A lot of people enjoyed Turf. I was not on that list. I liked the concept, but wanted it on a much larger scale. Add to that the aspect of people superbouncing (or simply knowing where to jump) to the top of the level, and it slides down my list of favorite maps. While bomb games were semi fun, I wasn't all that big on assault variants on Turf. Team Slayer was enjoyable, but, especially in the later times of Halo 2's life span, people chilling on the top of the level started to cause my skin to grow goose bumps every time it showed up in matchmaking.

#34. Avalanche

Not quite as good as its predecessor, but nonetheless fun Avalanche is a map crying to be played on BTB. Perfectly set up for either double sided or single sided objective based games, I seem to crack a smile whenever it shows up on my matchmaking playlist. Although I haven't had a lot of time to play on this map, I'm sure it will continue to climb up my list of favorites as time goes on.

#33. Rat's Nest

Anyone up for a race? I love it when Bungie takes a level almost directly out of the single player campaign, or at least tries to draw most of its inspiration from the single player experience. Rat's Nest originally wasn't something I enjoyed, but has since then slowly crept up my list of favorites. A map where you can't really make it to the other teams base without running into someone, and if you can, it's a miracle (or the other team are morons), Rat's Nest is almost as simple as it gets, and yet still finds a way to be fun.

#32. Burial Mounds

While it could turn into a spawn camping death trap on single sided objective games (which would have been easily solved with the advent of today's Forging), Burial Mounds still made for great one sided objective based games. I loved the strategy when on offense and playing CTF of simply driving the warthog up to the front of the base, letting your passenger out to jump from on top of the warthog into the base, grab the flag and simply jump back into the vehicle and ride home for the cap. Sadly, it usually didn't end that way. Also fun was charging for the rockets which were centrally located as to not really give either side an advantage for them. Burial Mounds holds a special place in my heart. Just please don't remake it, I'll probably begin to remember something bad about it, and I don't want that.

#31. Beaver Creek

One of the few remakes I enjoyed, Beaver Creek was a fun map for 4v4 CTF and assault, although I preferred CTF myself. Just as fun were Team Slayer and SWAT, which seemed to end most of the time with people camping the top of the bases and the sniper ledge. Just like Burial Mounds, however, I hope to never see this map in Halo 3, if only for the reason that I don't want any bad memories to be stirred up that are huddling at the back of my mind, always managing to escape the grasp of my ever reaching memory.

#30. Sidewinder


I loved driving a warthog on ice; it was almost as fun as driving a real car in the snow! To be honest, I never really played a lot of object games on Sidewinder, instead it was usually Team Slayer, or even 1v1 slayer. And let me tell you, it was fun. A great instance of where large and scary does equal fun. And those fun memories are the reason why it makes it higher than its spiritual successor on my list of favorites.

#29. Cold Storage

I would have said that this map was another answer to squelch the clamoring masses of MLG fan boys begging for their pistol back (because we all know it eventually boils down to that) if it weren't for the fact that I know that Bungie was discussing this remake from day one. Once this map makes it into greater circulation in matchmaking, I'm sure it will climb higher on my list, but, for now, Cold Storage can sit pretty knowing I like it more than Avalanche.

#28. Backwash

Did this map actually disappear from matchmaking? Like Seaquest DSV, waaaaaaayyy after it actually happened, I turned around and asked that very question (come on, who doesn't like talking dolphins, way too large underwater ships and space aliens???). Backwash was such a great idea, and quite moody! This map made playing swords enjoyable for probably the first time for me. Sadly, it left us too soon, I guess due to some environmental glitch or something… I don't know, don't ask me, I'm not a weatherman… no wait, I am…

#27. Headlong

A level that really reminded me more of a city on the planet of the Auto-bots than something to be found on Earth (then again, I'm not from the future), I probably spent more time playing Headlong trying to get on top of the map with friends during custom games then I did in actual matchmaking. It's single sided objective games were fun, although the Sniper matches did make my skin begin to crawl and my blood boil (that means I didn't like them). One thing I think someone should try to do: make Headlong out of Lego's. Ready, GO!

#26. Foundation

Snipers no shields. That was the game to be played on Foundation. Get a good ten people in the match, make four teams, and go at it. So much fun. Foundation was so simple, and yet worked on so many levels. Whether you played FFA, two teams, or even multiple teams, objective or FFA, this map was fun. Except for Zombies. I don't care what all of you clamoring fan boys tell me, charging over and over again into a highly barricaded room only to be shot in the head was not fun. Unless you had limited ammo, then I was all about it.

#25. Containment

Until I went to compile this list of all the maps from Halo to Halo 3 (minus the PC exclusives), I had completely forgotten about this map. Which was a shame, because I remember a lot of fun games on Containment. Mainly hailed it as the sequel to Sidewinder, Containment was another great map for BTB, with a good smattering of Team Slayer/Team Snipers thrown in for good measure. For never really remembering the map, now that I do I remember happy thoughts about it. Or at least mostly happy thoughts.

#24. Ascension

Speaking of superbouncing, here comes Ascension! And superbouncing wasn't even it's number one problem, that award goes to placing a banshee on a level with really no cover and 2v2 gametypes. I enjoyed this map a lot when I wasn't being superbounced on, whether it be Slayer or Single Flag CTF. And who can forget the most greatest thing Ascension was famous for: Tower of Power. What crack-head came up with this idea? Whoever it was, that was your one good idea, don't come up with anymore, we don't want you to hurt yourself.

#23. Wizard

Small, round, with teleporters that no one really knew where you'd end up, Wizard had its niche in my Halo playing days. First it was rocket FFA, and oh it was fun. As a matter of fact, this was the very first level and game type I played of Halo, and it was fun (I think I ended up cowering beside a teleporter in the shadows, trying to pick off unknown passer-byers). Then we found a new crazy gametype: shotguns no shields. Oh the humanity, and hilarity! Wizard was a map where, when you needed a good laugh or brake from serious, hardcore gameplay, you would definitely get it on Wizard.

#22. Isolation

Isolation is a map that has grown exponentially on me. From the beginning, I detested this map, nay, I hated this map. Perhaps it spawns from a simple game of One Flag I played on it, where this famous (well, to me famous) photo was snapped:


(and yes, I am on the losing end of that snapshot) After playing with good teammates a few times on Isolation, I have come to realize that this map isn't the utter trap that other maps like Snowbound or Foundry are, but rather a map where team work and good communication can go a long way. Also, it's a map where one section of the map can't get held on to forever, giving one side an unfair advantage until the timer counts down to zero. After the dust of Halo 3 settles and we move on to our next Bungie created shooter (hint hint, nudge nudge Bungie), Isolation very well may end up in the back of my mind much as Containment did, but for now, I like it. And I hope you do, too.

#21. Valhalla

When I first saw Valhalla, I thought "Wow, someone put Blood Gulch and Timberland together." Whether this was Bungie's intention or not, the map turned out great. Perfectly set up for both BTB and even smaller games of 4v4 and 5v5, Valhalla seems to be the right size for any amount of players. From large scale BTB games with heavy vehicles, to just a simple 4v4 game of Shotty Snipers, Valhalla opens its every loving canyon of fun to parties of all sizes. With it's bases built into a small area, opening up to a rather large center that begs for fire fights to be started, Valhalla is a map that will be fondly remembered for a very long time.

#20. Sanctuary

Sanctuary is another map that I seem to hear quite a few grumblings about for a remake, and to be quite honest, I don't really know if I'd enjoy it in the Halo 3 environment. However, back in Halo 2's hay-day, Sanctuary was one of the maps I would always be thrilled to play when it showed up in matchmaking. I have a very fond memory of playing a single bomb assault game against a modder who had the ability to move incredibly fast, and due to his arrogance and want to just mock us during our rounds to attack, we were actually able to win the game 1 to 0. Great memory. But Sanctuary was so much more than that, being another map where you could seemingly play both objective and slayer type games and enjoy yourself equally. With its symmetrical sides and the energy sword waiting in the center for the taking, Sanctuary was a well balanced map that played well and was pretty fun at the same time.

#19. Standoff

Standoff feels to me like someone took Blood Gulch and just smashed the two bases together, putting a rather small road in the middle and blocking it on both sides by rocks. Standoff is one of those maps where you live or die according to your teamwork. So many times in matchmaking I have decided to "go it alone" into DLC Objective or BTB, and just been squashed by the opposing team because we as a team weren't able to coordinate and work together. The decision not to place a sniper rifle on the level was probably the best thing Bungie could have done for the map, as seen now that we've had a couple weekends of Team Snipers and now understand that that weapon really will rule that map. Not to talk bad about Team Snipers on Standoff, which is one of the few maps I feel like I can actually do decent in a game of Team Snipers (maybe my teammates have something else to say about my skill, but they aren't talking and I am, so… I'm awesome!). I know this is also another "controversial choice," placing this map ahead of Valhalla. It's nothing against Valhalla, and I don't want anyone to think I am taking anything away from Valhalla, I just enjoy this map just a little bit more.

#18. Epitaph


The more and more I play this map, the more I seem to find people who don't like it. I'm not quite sure why that is, perhaps the shield doors? Epitaph is one of those maps where weapon and power up control are paramount to winning, and because of this, it's a map where you can begin to feel like the quicksand is quickly pulling you under if you are on the receiving end of it. While I haven't really played much of anything other than Team Slayer on Epitaph (with the exception of a few FFA/Multiteam KotH games which were semi-enjoyable), I still don't get that sinking-pit-in-my-stomach that most seem to do when it shows up in matchmaking. Maybe it is because it does emphasize the coordination, teamwork, and good communication skills that I (would like to think I) thrive off of, especially in Team Doubles, that I have such warm feelings for this map. Or maybe I'm just crazy. Either way, I say thank you, Bungie; I love this map.

#17. Warlock

I remember when Bungie said they were going to remake Wizard, I was pretty happy. I had some great memories of Wizard from Halo (as stated previously) and was equally excited for it's grown up brother to be released. Warlock seems to be the exception to my idea of a simple graphic overhaul and a few simple tweaks here and there. This map seemed to be even better than the original. From the back-and-forth games of Team Slayer, to the balancing act of objective games, Warlock seemed to have something for everyone. Warlock's only blemishes for me were the games of plasma punchout Bungie decided to subject us to, as well as a very bad memory of playing a modded version of said map in matchmaking (totally subjective for me, I know, but still frustrating none-the-less).

#16. Zanzibar

Zanzibar was the first multiplayer map I can remember seeing from Halo 2. One team spawns on the beach, with vehicles ready to take them to their objective, while the other team spawns in the building, their very own fortress to defend. From a giant door that could be opened from within, to a Camp Froman, where sniping became paramount to our teams victory, Zanzibar was set up for nail biting rounds of CTF and Assault. Later in Halo 2's life, super bouncing began to chip away at it' legacy, making it a map that made you cringe when it popped up in matchmaking. But, alas, this map still holds a special place in my heart for those fun filled rounds of CTF and Assault that were played out on the coast of Africa.

#15. Lockout

Lockout was to Halo 2 like Hang 'Em High was to Halo. Lockout was the elitest map, the map to end all maps. Lockout is map where I could play almost anything on and enjoy it. One of my favorite game types was playing No shields, multiple teams of 2, only BRs, with one life. Epic. I feel Lockout slid down my list of favorite maps in a large part due to Blackout, the map that helped to emphasize my reimagining vs remake mentality. Lockout was something I felt that, at the time of Halo 2, I hadn't really seen done very well. Most of the maps I enjoyed so much from Halo were simple, with symmetrical layouts and everything really flowing well and making sense. Lockout brought so much more to the table, with different levels and multiple areas to mold into your strong hold. Lockout, for Halo 2, was the map to end all maps, a catch all for almost any game type. (Just not my absolute favorite from Halo 2, but still in the Top 5!) On a side note, my all time favorite thing to play on Lockout was FFA Rocketball, with a time to win of just 30 seconds (60 if you wanted to be there forever!), and as many people as you could get into your party. This game went on forever, and yet was still fun.

#14. Ghost Town

Ah, Ghost Town, the shunned child of the Legendary Map Pack. When Bungie announced the maps that would be included in the Legendary Map Pack, everyone cheered for Avalanche, the reimagining of the classic Halo map Sidewinder, and the entire "pro" community let out a sigh of relief when Blackout was shown, the direct port (with new sparkling wallpaper!) of Lockout from Halo 2. Ghost Town was the map people saw and simply brushed off as the "filler" to an otherwise crowd pleasing DLC package. I remember the first time I played this map in DLC Objective, Single Bomb Assault being the game. This map seriously rocked my world. Not since the first time I played Zanzibar did I feel like a map was so perfectly crafted for one sided game types. With multiple points of entry, a great weapon layout, and a base that wasn't mind-numbingly hard to defend, this map screamed "play assault on me" like no other map in Halo 3 had for me yet. To be quite honest, I haven't been interested in assault since its tweaks in Halo 3, but this map brought it back for me. Ghost Town also works wonders for Slayer gametypes, from your run-of-the-mill Team Slayer, to Shotty Snipers and Team SWAT, this map has it all. The only real downside for me is KotH on Ghost Town, which is just about the only reason I will veto this map (especially Hammer Hill).

#13. Boarding Action

Such a simple idea: Two ships floating side by side in space. Maybe this is the brain child from the pirate loving Bungie folk. Think about it, it's like a pirate ship, pulling in along side it's prey, preparing to board. Boarding Action was awesome because it felt like a map where you couldn't hide. Despite the large size, even a 1v1 match (as long as you weren't on split screen) made you feel like you were walking through a haunted house, just waiting for your opponent to sneak up behind you and assassinate you. Because the Halo pistol had such a long range, even if your opponent was on the opposite side of the map you could still effectively target them. Snipers was another favorite on the map, but even playing a simple slayer match was amazing. The weapon set up on the map was great, with rockets and snipers strategically placed around the map to allow for maximum usage. Definitely a favorite, but definitely one I would have serious doubts about a remake (or even a reimagining) due to the large differences in the original Halo's game mechanics and Halo 3's game mechanics.

#12. Hang 'Em High

I think I'm going to be flayed alive for not putting Hang 'Em High in the Top 10. Sorry guys. Hang 'Em High is awesome, and is in the Top 5 on this list for the original Halo, mind you. I think the big detractor for me is the fact that I didn't really play much of any CTF on Hang 'Em High. After so many countless hours of epic game play on Blood Gulch, the non-symmetrical layout of Hang 'Em High just never appealed to me. However, this map is freakin' amazing. Whether Team Slayer or Slayer FFA, this map rocked. This map will hold up as the best example for how awesome the Halo pistol could be. It's simple, open-air environment, coupled with tall walkways and bases created a false sense of security that was quickly taken away by the pistol's range. Hang 'Em High was another one of those maps from the original Halo that helped to create the fun, party-type atmosphere that everyone so fondly remembers from the game.

#11. Longest

"Oooohhh, it's the Loooooooooooooonnnnnggg Ranger!" This was the battle cry that would not stop once a game of rockets on Longest was loaded up. To be quite honest, we never really played much else on this map. Rockets seemed to satisfy all the needs we had, and once played with rockets, everything else just seemed mundane. Whenever a game of CTF on Blood Gulch got too hot to handle, and tempers began to flare, a game of rockets on Longest always seemed to qualm our fueling anger. After you have nailed an opponent from one end of the hallway to the other, everything else just melts away and that famous phrase leaves your lips. The Long Ranger lives on.

#10. Terminal


The train, the train! Everyone has a story, at least one story, of trying for either the overshield or the sword, and right when they thought they had it… SPLAT! CTF and assault games were the main dish for this map, where things weren't really balanced but still seemed to make for entertaining times. One of the things that brings this map down was its excessive spawn camping and sniping, hiding above the garage (mostly slayer games), as well as total domination from the wraith at times. But these few blemishes don't outshine its awesome set up for objective type games.

#9. Prisoner

Nostalgia. I've seen many a remake of Prisoner using Forge and Foundry, but none seem to be able to stir up quite the same feelings I got from the original. Rockets was the name of the game mostly, with its towering heights and dizzying walkways, this map seemed to be made from the simple thought of "reigning terror from above." Later, we discovered CTF games on Prisoner, which were again enhanced by playing Rocket CTF. Oh the memories, the fun, fun memories.

#8. Relic

Again, perhaps a controversial choice on my part, more so I believe due to the fact that it was introduced later in Halo 2's life cycle, but you didn't get more epic objective battles in Halo 2 then on Relic. After Halo 2 was released and people began beginning for remakes (hmmm, sounds familiar), one of the immediate maps that came to my mind was Death Island. When Relic came out, it seemed to be Bungie's long lost answer to my question. Relic's objective point, placed at the end of a long, tall… well, Relic, required teamwork and determination to bust through the opposing teams defenses and win the round. A little too strong was the sniper's strangle hold on the map, with long lines of site and little cover on at least one side of the map. However, it's use of a teleporter than could only be deployed by reaching the defending team's base and "flipping the switch" was pretty awesome.

#7. Narrows

Perhaps this map is the spiritual successor to Longest, much as Guardian is to Lockout. I mean, I LOVED Longest (as seen by its high placement on my list), and when you really get down to it, this map really does take what was great about that map, and flesh it out. In all honesty, Bungie probably never thought of Narrows and Longest as related in anyway, and I'm probably just crazy. But this map just seeps conflict. Narrows is not a map to hide on (if you forget about the few leap-to-your-death-if-you-don't-get-it-right spots I try to not think about), where the only way to reach your objective is to run headlong into your opponent. And I love it for that. With man-cannons of doom and it's bridge (or highway) to hell, this map will always be a personal favorite for me.

#6. Ivory Tower

Oh man, if ever I wanted a reimagining (but not a remake), this always seems to be the big one in the back of my mind every time it comes up. Ivory Tower was a pretty big map when you stop and think about it, but it didn't really feel all that big when you did stop and think about it. I remember some great CTF/Assault games that were played out on this map. Team Slayer was also a big one, with awesome weapon placement, and those three/four levels (layers) of the map that really loved to screw with your radar. Although, snipers in the trees and even in the snipers loft did get rather annoying. Speaking of said snipers loft; this is where this map started to seem to lose some luster for me. So many Team Slayer/SWAT games seemed to end with one team barricading themselves on the top floor, and it simply turned into "who can hold it the longest." Still, this is the only blemish on an otherwise wonderful map.

#5. Midship

Ahhhh, and the MLG/fanboys all issue a sigh of relief. I didn't think, originally when beginning to compile this list in my head, that this map would make it in my Top 5. But I asked myself one question: What maps can I enjoy multiple game types, with both large and small numbers of players, and continue to play on said map for hours on end. And to be quite honest, this map is second only to Blood Gulch in all those categories. So why isn't it #2 then? Oh, personal preference, obviously. But I digress. Midship was a map where I enjoyed almost anything on. From objective( KotH, CTF, Assault, Oddball) to slayer (Team, Shotty Snipers, Snipers, Swords, Shotties), and could be enjoyed with any number of players (1v1, Doubles, 4v4, and even 16 players). This map, in Halo 2, was definitely one of those maps where, when it came up in matchmaking, I was perfectly happy. And don't we all just want to be happy in the end?

#4. Construct

Now this is a personal choice that many will find controversial (or just plain wrong), but to be honest, it's my list, so phooey to you! Alright, but in all seriousness, I really do enjoy this map. The layout is weird, I give you that. I remember the first time I saw the map (someone posted a video from a "bootleg copy" of Halo 3 they got before launch), I remember thinking, that map just doesn't make sense. But every time I played it, it just gets better and better. My personal preferences for game types on this map are Team Doubles (Slayer) and MLG KotH. But, also not to be forgotten or taken lightly are Team Slayer, Shotty Snipers, or even Zombies. Again, I just find myself enjoying this map more and more every time I play it.

#3. The Pit

When it comes to strategy, team work, and a freaking awesome symmetrical map, the Pit rocks. From flying cones of doom, to sword squatting campers and freaking annoying snipers on the towers, the Pit has it all. This map requires coordination, communication, and overall teamwork in order to best your opponent, while the symmetrical layout allows for a very fair and balanced game. The fact that both teams are separated and can not see each other at the start of play, allowing each side to begin to set up their defense/offense, really helps this map to be one that I try very hard not to veto when it pops up in matchmaking.

#2. Guardian

For myself, Guardian is the near equivalent of Blood Gulch in Halo 3, lacking only the ability to be played on with any number of players (haven't tried 16 yet, don't think I want to unless it's Rocket Ball [see Lockout]). When I jump into matchmaking, no matter what playlist, if Guardian comes up, I'm playing it. Slayer, Swat, Oddball, KotH, MLG (even VIP for crying out loud!), I'm all about this map. This map is the #1 reason I am all about reimagining's and not remakes, because it really feels like someone said, "Hey, let's take the essence of what Lockout was, what made that map great, and peel away everything else, then build it from that (and the ground) up. Frickin' awesome. Merely by the fact that this map is in Halo 3, the game I play 99% of the time, and Blood Gulch isn't, almost puts it at #1. Almost, but not quite…

#1. Blood Gulch

Ahhhh, good ol' Blood Gulch. This map tops my list because of its versatility and ability to be played on for hours on end without becoming boring. Weather it was CTF or even a good game of Slayer, whether 4 players or 16, this map was able to entertain. It's greatest point was playing CTF, where all-nighters were held, with epic flag captures, long range rocket-to-warthog's where exploded, and where the boys were separated from the men. There's also a reason this map is at the polar opposite of its red-headed step brother from Halo 2, but that has already been outlined, and I won't bore you with those details again. Blood Gulch was, and always will be, for me, the best Halo map Bungie has ever made. If someone paid me for all of the countless hours I played this map, I'm pretty sure I'd be one of the richest, if not happiest, Halo geeks on the planet.

Well there you have it, my list of Least Favorite To Favorite Halo Maps. Let me know what you think!

Labels: Gaming, Halo 2, Halo 3



These are our most popular posts: how to add weather to coagulation on halo

how long before celebrex takes effect - Halo Universe Forums

celebrex and lopid ibuprofen coagulation cardizem cd imitrex index php extra strength tylenol and pregnancy vioxx versus celebrex is acetaminophen the same ep aspirin celexa and imitrex interaction tylenol elixir dosing sumatriptan description tramadol ... Choose secure his particular motor, suv or just Sports utility vehicle cleansed combined with wax * add in d strong gasoline adjustment for the over-all motorcycle make-over. Since d d man of the house are often ... read more

halo players: maps

Although none of the geometry has had a drastic change, the aesthetics are different this time around as its set as a Human weather station in the Arctic. The layout of the .... twice the size. New walkways and tunnels into the base add a host of new ways to attack the base. ... While sure to evoke fond memories of Blood Gulch and Coagulation from Halo 1 and 2 respectively, this take on the classic base at either end map has some striking differences. Multiple modes ... read more

The Life and Times of a 18 Year Old Nerd.: 6 week+ hiatus...

Well, that is a straight up copy of the geometry from the Halo 2 favourite, Coagulation, which, in turn is a re-make of the Halo: Combat Evolved favourite, Blood Gulch. Theyve ... The Cage is actually a predecessor of the Halo 2 map Lockout and Halo 3 re-make Blackout and has been made from an original blueprint which was used to create Lockout. Call it a ... The first 3 days were good, being decent weather where we could explore the delights of Cornwall and such. ... read more

CodeMonkeys foobar: Favorite Halo Maps

Coagulation Kicking things off on this list of Least Favorite To Favorite Maps of Halo, we have the red-headed step child of Blood Gulch itself, Coag. Coagulation took everything that was great from its predecessor, chewed it up, spit it out, and then proceeded to defecate itself onto the remains. ... They simply took Zanzibar and threw it into Halo 3 with about five minutes of tweaking (I know, I know, they put a lot more time into it than that, Im just trying to make a point). ... read more

Related Posts



0 コメント:

コメントを投稿